Friday, April 19, 2013

Project # 3: File cabinet make-over!


Project #3: File Cabinet Make-over! 


Sorry for the crappy photo quality. I have no excuses other than being stupid with my phone.

Supplies Needed:
- A file cabinet (  ha ha ha)
- Scrapbook paper/ wall paper/ decorative paper
- Mod Podge
- A paint brush
- Ruler
-Pencil
- Scissors or cutting board
- Exacto knife
- Spray paint ( optional)
- Clear acrylic Spray ( optional)

K, so once again, I got this idea from my Pinterest account. I basically just got the idea though. The person I got the idea from used a completely different way of going about doing it. If you follow my link, you can see how they did it. 

Step 1: 

I made sure I had the Bean in bed for this one. Yes, friends, she is napping in her OWN BED! A miracle! It's been a great week for her. Anyways... file cabinet make over! 

I've had this file cabinet for about 2 years now. My old boss gave it to me ( bless her heart, I'm sure she was glad to get rid of it) and it's been great for all my important files, etc! I've wanted to repaint it since I got it - of course that never happened and it's just been sitting in my living room, where everyone can see, being ugly.  

Go ahead and make sure it's clean! Nothing worse that trying to adhere paper to a dirty file cabinet. Mine was surprisingly not that dirty. I wiped it down anyways being the clean freak that I am. 

While your waiting for it to dry off I'd suggest grabbing all the supplies you need and putting them in one place.

I did this all in inside - if you plan to use spray paint or the acrylic spray to finish it off with - take your project OUTSIDE... if it's nice out, or somewhere well ventilated.  I didn't use those products because,
A) I wanted to be inside while Bean napped and 
B) I was far to lazy to take everything my husband has stacked on it, off. I also couldn't figure out how to detach the drawers.... XD



Step 2:

Measure the drawers you wish to cover in paper . If you plan on using spray paint, spray the handles of the cabinet and let dry. I didn't do this, but personally think the handles would look better white on my cabinet.

Step 3: 

I found this paper at Tri- Dee's in Mt. Vernon, WA. 2 huge sheets for $4! Couldn't pass up! 

Look how awesome this print is! So coooooool. 
Now cut out the size you need to cover your drawers. 

Remember: measure twice, cut once!

I had some scraps that I decided to keep cause I just love the paper I chose so much. I'm going to use them in a multi-media project I'm doing. 

Step 4:

Grab your Mod Podge and paint brush. I used a fairly large brush - the bigger the drawer, the bigger the brush. 

*Make sure your cut piece of paper is by your side*

Paint the drawer with mod podge. I only used 1 coat, you don't need a whole lot. Make sure it's even so you don't get bubbles! 

Now lay your cut piece of paper on the drawer. Do this right after you lay your mod podge down so your glue doesn't dry. 




Step 5:



By now, Bean woke up so I got tied up wit her and didn't take any photos - other than the finished piece. 


Once the paper is laid down how you like it - paint another coat of mod podge OVER the paper. Don't worry - mod podge dries clear! 

After it dries, take your exacto knife and cut out the paper where the handles are if you didn't do it in Step 3. I did it this way so I could get an even cut and used the cabinet itself as a ruler, ha ha. 

This is where I finished and didn't go further with the project. I think it turned out just fine! 



Step 6: ( Optional)

Make sure everything is dry. Take your CLEAR acrylic spray and spray an even layer over the drawers. This should protect it pretty well! 

And your done! Instead of having a dull grey cabinet you know now have a pretty one - that you made yourself! Wooooo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment