Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Chalkboard Mason Jar


CHALKBOARD MASON JAR



In attempt to make my bathroom/laundry room look more presentable, I had decided a few months ago to throw my cotton balls ( that I use EVERY DAY) inside a jar, rather than just leave them in the bag.  It worked. The room did look more put together but I was still missing something.
On My Pinterest I had been browsing a lot of people using chalkboard paint for everything! I had bought chalkboard SPRAY paint for my birthday back in January and I've been dying to use it ever since. This was the perfect opportunity. 

The awesome thing about this project: you can use it for a number of things! Why? Because you can erase chalk!  This is perfect for the food canner whom reuses their mason jars every year *my mother*. I plan to make a few of these and use them for all my bathroom storage, Q-Tips, band-aids, that kind of thing! 


SUPPLIES NEEDED
- Mason Jar or glass jar
- Painters tape
- Chalkboard paint
- Chalk

STEP 1:


Grab your mason jar or whatever jar you plan on using, along with your painters tape!

Make sure it's clean. Once you spray paint it, it's gunna be hard to clean.

Begin to mask off any part of the jar you don't want paint.
Use several layers and make sure that there aren't any bubbles and that everything is straight and pretty!




If you are using paint rather than spray paint you don't have to use any much painters tape as I did above, but I've never used spray paint before was worried I'd get it everywhere!
As you can see, I decided to bring it outside. No icky paint fumes inside ma home!

STEP 2:


I was really worried I'd get spray paint everywhere so I asked my husband who claims to be a professional in that area to give it a shot for me.
He, of course being the good husband he is, agreed.


I'm glad we decided to put extra painters tape on because the paint did get everywhere! But Frank ( my husband) did a good job and there was no drips, etc. 
On the spray can are directions saying to put at least 2 coats of paint on for the chalkboard to take effect. So we put several coats on and let it dry overnight. 

STEP 3:



After everythings dried, take your tape off! For some reason, this was my favorite part.
If you made sure there were no bubbles in your tape, you should have a nice clean line around the jar.

STEP 4:

Grab your chalk and write whatever you want! I'm using mine for cotton balls, so, that's what I wrote...
I was so tempted to doodle on it. I'm sure by next week there will be a picture of a cat or something along those lines on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment