Friday, January 18, 2013

Weaning : present participle of wean (Verb)

Elizabeth: 11 months 
The time has come, the time to wean. A few weeks ago, Elizabeth turned 1 and I had already begun to wean her then. Bean actually started to do it herself. For those of you who don't know, when I say wean, I mean wean from my boobz. Not from a bottle, pacifier, or anything else. Bean never did take a bottle or anything other than my boob; making it really difficult for me to do anything for myself.

I've got a lot of crap from other people about nursing this long. It really disappoints me that people can be so cruel and hateful towards something that is so natural and meant to be. I feel that people who aren't nursing, don't truly understand how hard it is to just stop nursing cold turkey. Elizabeth and I have been gradually taking a feeding out for a few weeks now and she's slowly but surly, moved onto solid foods. I still can't get her to drink much of anything unless it's water. She also hates anything pureed. We now only nurse at night and bedtime which is a huge accomplishment for both me and Bean. Since we've been gradually doing this, it's been easier on myself as well. My warlocks haven't become engorged and sore with milk as much as I feared.

At Elizabeth's 1 year old check up, a day before her birthday, I mentioned to the doctor that I was still nursing but had planned on starting to wean and blah blah blah. Before I could finish my sentence, he had replied with " That is just fine that you're still nursing. Although if your still nursing at age 5, it might be a little embarrassing for Elizabeth."  It really bothers me that just because I'm nursing my daughter at age 1, most people are quick to assume I'm going to do it until shes 5! He wasn't the first one to assume that! She is barely a toddler at this point. Again, I'm just so sad people can be so weirded out over nursing.

Bean climbing over her bean bag
Anyways, Elizabeth is thriving and almost walking completely now. Her record is 6 steps!

As you can see in the picture to your right, I can now put her hair in little piggy tails!

I had made a little play area in the living room for her and instead of buying baby gates to gate her off with, I used bean bags as she couldn't climb over them. That didn't last long. She is now a free roaming 1 year old!

2 comments:

  1. People are SO weird about breastfeeding. I hate it. THAT'S WHAT THE BOOBLES ARE FOR!!! It drives me nuts when people treat you differently just because your actually using your boobs for their intended purpose.

    Are you using a nursing cover? My sister in law has a 9 month old daughter and she doesn't cover when nursing. Its incredibly inspiring to see her confidence in not giving a shit what other people think. You do what YOU think is right. No one can tell you what is right for you and your babz. I plan on not covering and nursing for AT LEAST a year. That doesn't mean I will continue to nurse up to 5 years.

    I am frustrated at your situation. I'm sorry that people are giving you shit. You do whatchoo want!

    -Mellissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mell! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have a nursing cover, I did use it for the first month but after that it got to annoying and by then so many people had seen my boobz it really didn't matter. Bean hated it too. She got so hot underneath it. It does comes in handy when I need to pump in the car or something random like that. I've always been pretty modest ( as you know) so I've only breastfed in public once and always try to do it before we go somewhere or when we get home. I hear stories of women popping their boob out in grocerie lines and things like that, I just couldn't do it. Ha!

      Delete