Monday, January 7, 2013

Birthdays!

The 3rd was my 24th Birthday! The 29th was Elizabeth's 1st birthday! 4 days before that it was Jesus' birthday! A day before that, it was Joana's birthday! So. many. birthdays.

My in-law's Christmas tree. :| 
I'll start off with Christmas ( and Joana) since it came first. Joana, who is Frank's sister, gets to enjoy her birthday on Christmas Eve. She takes it rather well. I always hated my birthday being so close to Christmas.

We started off by going to Frank's parent's home Christmas Eve to celebrate there. Dinner was, but of course, full of different foods from the Filipino culture which are pretty common on Frank's side of the family. I had never heard of dishes they regularly have until dating Frank. I've actually really learned to enjoy a few! I know! Me, picky penny!
After dinner, we made our way to the "tree" to open presents. Joana opened up her birthday presents at the same time. For the past few years, Diane ( mother-in-law) has decided not to put up a tree and do something like put up a giant angel instead. I'm not really sure why but I've got a hunch she's done decorating and undecorating trees since she gave us 548957489 ornaments. This was the first time in weeks Elizabeth had actually got to touch a present. I had been telling her "No touch! No touch!" Her first Christmas present opening! She held the present and kept looking at me. Her eyes kept saying " I can rip this apart, Mam? For real?!" She was a little confused at first but Frank helped her and soon it was all fun and no worry about being told "No."
Another Pinterest craft! 

We all were so spoiled, I can't remember what we all got but am totally thankful! We're pretty poor this year and couldn't do presents. Just way to many people in our family. I ended up making chocolate covered pretzels for my co-workers and Frank's side of the family. My Mom always makes these as well and didn't I think people would want double on our side.

We then headed to a dessert my Grandma has been dying for us to go to for years. Her and her neighbors always have a dinner/dessert thing Christmas Eve and I never go. Just more people I have to put on a smile for. By the time we got there ( 10 minute drive) Bean was asleep and I had to wake her up. She was happy to see her Papa and some people she knew but still couldn't cover up the fact it was now past her bed time and she was past the point of "cranky." I had decided to call it a night around 8:30 and go home. Which was literally just up the hill. For those of you who don't know, not only do I live a block away from my parents, I also live a block away from my grandparents. I live basically in between them.

That night, Bean was out for a good few hours, a record for her. Frank was out in a matter of 2 minutes. I was so tired. I could feel my brain turning off but not let me sleep. The whole night. There's something about Christmas morning that gets me so excited, I can't sleep.Ever since I was little. I used to wake up at 3AM to see what Santa brought me in my stocking then sit for hours, waiting for everyone else to wake up so we could open presents. I'm an adult now, with my own child, and still get super excited, but don't get up and lay in bed wishing I could sleep.

Frank and I woke up around 6 to open the few gifts we had got for each other. I was a tad bit more spoiled this year. :) The large present in the picture was mine. An "artists" desk! Which both my parents, and Frank bought me. I ended up returning one for a lovely shopping spree at Michael's Arts & Crafts. 

We made our way up to my parent's home around 7 for an annual silly string fight and present opening. This might of been the last year we head up there that early. Bean didn't like the silly string fight. She clutched to me the entire time and the whole family thought I was using her as a shield  Not true!  
The rest of Christmas was the usual. Went to the grandparents. Had dinner. Blah.

My parent's tree! So many presents! 
Christmas Eve.

Elizabeth's 1st birthday! 
Taking a bite of her cake - she didn't really want too.

I wanted to do something for her birthday so I made party favors out of baby food jars my Grandma gave me. Her cat eats baby food on account of bad liver/kidney problems. Poor kitteh. He eats more baby food than Bean does. Ha ha! 
Final product. I put M&M's on the inside.


Her cake and cupcakes! I didn't make these. 




My parent's got her a little scooter thing. She loves it.


Helping her open presents.


Ceiling Cat Emperor of Dune






No comments:

Post a Comment